Juvenile killed in Poolville Rd. accident
A juvenile was killed early Monday morning when his pickup collided with an 18-wheeler on Union County Road 51, otherwise known as Myrtle-Poolville Rd.
Union County Chief Deputy Jimmy Edwards said that, because the teenager was a minor, he could not officially release his name to the public at the time of the accident.
However Gazette staff learned shortly after that the teenager in question is David Moody Jr., 16, a student of Myrtle High School and a member of the Myrtle High School baseball team.
Moody was killed when he pulled onto Myrtle-Poolville Rd. in front of an 18-wheeler carrying soybeans.
Edwards said the driver of the 18-wheeler had been airlifted to a hospital in Memphis, Tenn.
Robert Gordon, coach of the Myrtle High School baseball team, called Moody a “special kid.”
“He was a good kid, a great guy,” Gordon said. “He had a chance to be a really good player. He was definitely special, and we just clicked very well. He was a super guy, and this is just breathtaking. I'm in awe, and I don't think this has really sunk in yet. I'm just in shock.”
Moody was a sophomore.
About Chris Elkins
- Overtime magic January 13, 2017
- Lee selected for Alcorn nursing program January 18, 2017
- Hillcrest Baptist Church to host Night to Shine Prom for people with special needs January 18, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- Weather Service to visit as part of severe storm awareness, training January 19, 2017
- Planning can save 15 percent at grocer’s January 19, 2017
- Elementary students honor King January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...