Kennamore charged in drug sting
Former New Albany alderman Jerry W. Kennamore was arrested Monday afternoon, following a grand jury indictment for allegedly selling the narcotic pain reliever OxyContin.
Kennamore, 61, of 204 Jefferson St., was officially charged with two counts of the sale of the Schedule II substance at 12:42 p.m. Monday.
According to New Albany Police Chief David Grisham, Kennamore had gotten caught up in an undercover drug operation conducted by the police department over several months.
“He was caught selling drugs to an undercover officer,” Grisham said. “He’s one of several individuals that we’ve arrested as part of the operation.
Grisham said that Union County’s Grand Jury met last week and handed down several indictments, including one for Kennamore.
“We’ve been serving them this week and we served his yesterday,” Grisham said.
Grisham said that Kennamore’s bond was set at $25,000 per count, or a total of $50,000. Kennamore has been released on bond.
“He will await arraignment in the next term of Circuit Court,” Grisham said.
A native of Middleton, Kennamore served as New Albany’s Ward Two Alderman from 1989 to 1993 and as Ward Four Alderman from 1997 to 2001, reportedly making him the city’s only alderman to be elected from two different wards. He also ran for the office of mayor in 2001, 2005 and 2009. During his terms as alderman, Kennamore served as a member of the Main Street Association and Tourism Council.
In 2009, Kennamore pleaded guilty to one count of forgery, for allegedly writing his daughter’s name as an attesting witness on an absentee ballot. He was serving a 10-year suspended sentence for the conviction and was told he could never run for office again.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...