Beautiful autumn weather and a variety of family friendly activities crowded Main Street in Sherman last Saturday for the Main Street Festival. Motorcycle riders enjoyed the Poker Run. Local canines came out for the “Bark in the Park” dog show. Children enjoyed the opportunity to shimmy up the rock climbing wall, ride the train, and play all sorts of games in the Kids Corner. After playing so hard, the Old Mayor’s office offered up your typical festival food of pizza, BBQ nachos, funnel cakes, popcorn, cotton candy, and candied apples.
Around 5 p.m., the line dancing started with young and old hitting the street to share in the fun of the Cupid Shuffle, Electric Slide, and the Cha Cha Slide.
The evening wrapped up with a Karaoke contest. Local singers chose from over 8,000 songs and belted out their best for the crowd. The overall winner was Katelyn Jolly, daughter of Kevin and Mandy Jolly, who performed “American Honey” and carried home 1st place cash prize. Runners up were Carrie Barrett, Katie Perkins and Abigail Crump (a duet), and Allyssa Spurr. All were awarded nice prizes. Thank you to Richard and Liddie Pate of LidRap Entertainment who provided a professional setup for the dancing and karaoke evening.
Thank you to the Sherman Special Events committee, the Sherman Fire and Police Departments, and all who gave of their time and energy to help make the Sherman Main Street Festival a successful event.
Trick or treaters are invited to come by the Sherman Fire Department Halloween night. The volunteer firemen will be handing out fire prevention coloring books, candy, etc. Hopes are for Sparky the Fire Dog to make an appearance.
Jamie Culpepper will attend the C-PAT (Candidate Physical Ability Test) at the Fire Academy in Jackson November 1.
Lots of candy is needed for the Tract and Treat night on Halloween in front of Sherman Baptist Church. Members are preparing 200 bags for children.
Sherman Baptist is having a workday inside the church Saturday, Oct. 29, to clean classrooms and closets to gain more room for ministry needs.
The Sherman Baptist Brotherhood will be sponsoring a soup/chili luncheon after the morning service on Nov. 6. This is to help raise money for insulation and other supplies to complete the youth house. Brotherhood is not charging a set fee but donations will be received.
A bridal shower will be held for Joel Sheffield and Jodi Wheeler from 2-4 p.m. on Oct. 30 at at Sherman Baptist. The couple is registered at Wal-Mart and Belk.
The Tri-County Baptist will have a church-wide hayride at 6 p.m. on Oct. 28 with a hot dog roast afterwards.
Sherman Church of Christ youth devotional will be next Sunday night, Oct. 30, with a hot dog roast.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series