Halloween and chili
Another new nighttime event is scheduled Thursday in downtown New Albany. Well, actually it’s a redo of the former Trick or Treat Downtown event, sponsored by the New Albany Main Street Association.
Now it’s called Hill Country Halloween and Chili Cook-off. The evening will begin with a short parade downtown at 6 p.m. led by entertainers Jimbo Mathus and the Tri-State Coalition. Candy will be given out during the parade.
Events include a children’s costume contest at 6:30 p.m. that includes a $3 entry fee for the first time.
There are contest categories for under age 5, ages 5 to 10, ages 11 to 18, and over 18.
The evening also includes a Halloween carnival with children’s games, the chili cook-off (and enough chili to make a meal for attendees) and entertainment by the band until 10 p.m.
The cost of the chili cook-off is $10 except for children age 10 or under. That price is $3.
It’s an effort by the Main Street Association to mix children’s activities with food and entertainment. We don’t know whether such an event will be successful, but we support trying new ways of doing things.
Vickie Duke, Main Street Association manager, said that if they need to tweak some things for next year they will.
It’s another effort to provide more night-time activities.
Our downtown needs to be more alive at night, and events here bring money back to our county that otherwise would be spent in Tupelo or Oxford.
We encourage you to support the Hill Country Halloween and Chili Cook-off event.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...