Myrtle, East Union win division titles
Myrtle and East Union picked up district titles in cross country over the weekend, as Saltillo hosted the district one championships last Saturday.
The Hawks and Lady Hawks both earned top honors in 1-1A, followed by West Union. Savannah Shirley finished first in the girls race with a time16:54, followed by Myrtle’s Savannah Shirley and Katina High. The Lady Hawks edged West Union by three points, 26 to 29, to earn the district title.
West Union’s Hunter Jennings was the top finisher in the boys race, finishing almost a full minute ahead of Myrtle’s Justin Pickens. The Hawks beat West Union by only one point, claiming three of the top five spots in the race.
Katie Rowan finished third in the 1-2A girls race, leading East Union to its district title. The Lady Urchins placed four runners in the top 10 (Rowan, Haliegh Snyder, Beth Skelley and Emily Bruce), finishing with 27 points. New Site finished second with 50 points.
Potts Camp earned the boys title in 1-2A, finishing 12 points ahead of East Union. Cody Dillard and Ryan Skelley finished third and fourth and Brett Rakestraw finished seventh to lead the Urchins.
In Region 2-4A, Pontotoc had commanding wins on both the boys and girls sides, boasting the top eight runners in both races.
Daniel Drummond was the top finisher for the Bulldogs, finishing ninth, and the Bulldogs wrapped up a second place finish with 70 points. William Harding, Adrian Crockett and Guillermo Garcia also finished in the top 20 for New Albany.
The Lady Bulldogs finished fourth in the girls race, led by Laura Creekmore, who finished 22nd. Reese Neely also finished in the top 30 for New Albany.
The 2011 state championships will take place this weekend at Choctaw Trails in Clinton.
About Chris Elkins
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- Playoff bound January 20, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- Weather Service to visit as part of severe storm awareness, training January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...