Myrtle, East Union win division titles
Myrtle and East Union picked up district titles in cross country over the weekend, as Saltillo hosted the district one championships last Saturday.
The Hawks and Lady Hawks both earned top honors in 1-1A, followed by West Union. Savannah Shirley finished first in the girls race with a time16:54, followed by Myrtle’s Savannah Shirley and Katina High. The Lady Hawks edged West Union by three points, 26 to 29, to earn the district title.
West Union’s Hunter Jennings was the top finisher in the boys race, finishing almost a full minute ahead of Myrtle’s Justin Pickens. The Hawks beat West Union by only one point, claiming three of the top five spots in the race.
Katie Rowan finished third in the 1-2A girls race, leading East Union to its district title. The Lady Urchins placed four runners in the top 10 (Rowan, Haliegh Snyder, Beth Skelley and Emily Bruce), finishing with 27 points. New Site finished second with 50 points.
Potts Camp earned the boys title in 1-2A, finishing 12 points ahead of East Union. Cody Dillard and Ryan Skelley finished third and fourth and Brett Rakestraw finished seventh to lead the Urchins.
In Region 2-4A, Pontotoc had commanding wins on both the boys and girls sides, boasting the top eight runners in both races.
Daniel Drummond was the top finisher for the Bulldogs, finishing ninth, and the Bulldogs wrapped up a second place finish with 70 points. William Harding, Adrian Crockett and Guillermo Garcia also finished in the top 20 for New Albany.
The Lady Bulldogs finished fourth in the girls race, led by Laura Creekmore, who finished 22nd. Reese Neely also finished in the top 30 for New Albany.
The 2011 state championships will take place this weekend at Choctaw Trails in Clinton.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins outrun Bears in jamboree win August 18, 2016
- Klarksyn Denise Coleman birth announcement August 23, 2016
- Wilder to celebrate 90th birthday August 23, 2016
- Purvis couple celebrates 70th wedding anniversary August 23, 2016
- Hurricane news August 23, 2016
- Long ball drops Lady Hawks August 23, 2016
- Latest city school test scores good August 23, 2016
- Multi-faceted author John Hailman to be guest speaker at Faulkner Literary Luncheon August 23, 2016
- Delinquent tax land sale something of misnomer August 23, 2016
- Paul Rainey museum program returns by popular demand August 23, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...