Northeast qualifies for MACJC playoffs
Northeast Mississippi Community College’s football team is headed to the Mississippi Association of Community/Junior Colleges (MACJC) state playoffs for the first time since 2005.
Northeast (6-3, 4-2 in North Division) finished the regular season tied for the division runner-up spot with Northwest Mississippi Community College and Itawamba Community College but won out on tiebreakers and made it into the playoffs for the first time in six years.
In 2005, Northeast faced off against Pearl River after winning the North Division championship. Now the Tigers will wait until Saturday to see whom they face.
Mississippi Gulf Coast (7-1, 5-0 in the South Division) will host Hinds (7-1, 5-0) in a pivotal division match-up in Perkinston on Saturday, October 29 at 3 p.m.
The winner of the Mississippi Gulf Coast-Hinds clash will host Northeast while the loser will travel to North Division champion East Mississippi as the South’s runner-up.
First round games for the MACJC state playoffs are set for Saturday, November 5 while the MACJC State Championship game will be played on Saturday, November 12.
Northeast’s division runner-up finish marks the sixth time that the Tigers have finished as runner-up in the North Division and marks just the ninth time the Tigers have been able to reach the postseason since reviving the football program in 1968.
Northeast finished as the runner-up in the North Division during the 2010 season against Itawamba and East Mississippi but missed out on the playoffs due to the same tiebreakers that put the Tigers in the playoffs this year.
Northeast captured four North Division crowns in 1980, 2002, 2004 and 2005 and has recorded runner-up finishes in 1977, 1979, 1983, 1987 and 2010.
Northeast has met either Hinds or Mississippi Gulf Coast three times prior in the playoffs. In 2004, Hinds knocked off Northeast 30-6 during the first round while in 1987, the Eagles took back-to-back victories against the Tigers. During the regular season finale, Hinds captured a 34-0 decision and then knocked off the Tigers 42-14.
Northeast’s only encounter against Mississippi Gulf Coast in the playoffs came in 1983 when the Bulldogs were able to dispatch the Tigers in the first round.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...