Voters head to the polls
This Saturday is the last day for absentee voting; it will not be offered Monday. Union County voters, like many across the state, are using this week to make their final decisions about who to mark on their ballots during the general election, set for Tuesday, Nov. 8.
In the local races, county residents will be choosing a new sheriff, since Incumbent Tommy Wilhite decided in August to remove his name from contention. Voters will choose between Democratic candidate Jimmy Edwards or Republican Jim Taylor.
In the Chancery clerk race, citizens will have a choice between Incumbent Annette Hickey and her challenger, Democratic candidate Steve Robbins.
Another Incumbent seeking office is Union County Coroner Mark Golding. He faces Republican candidate Brenda Whitesid Coltharp.
In the Supervisor races, District 3 supervisor Danny Jordan is being challenged by Republican Wade Ligon. Meanwhile District 5 supervisor Benny Rakestraw faces two opponents – Republican Caleb Chandler and Independent Butch Cobb.
Voters in the West Post Constable district will have a choice to make between Incumbent David Garrison and Republican Andy Howard.
Residents who will be unable to vote in the Nov. 8 election may vote by absentee ballot all this week at the Union County Circuit Clerk’s office.
The Circuit Clerk’s office will also be open from 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Nov. 5, 2011 for absentee voting at the Union County Courthouse.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...