New Albany will join 40 other Mississippi cities and towns Dec. 2 when a smoke-free workplace ordinance goes into effect.
The Board of Aldermen adopted the ordinance unanimously Monday after a public hearing generated no comments from the public. We were a little surprised that no one spoke out against it; perhaps it shows the education campaign about the problems with second-hand smoke is working.
In any case, the ordinance, which was put forward by Alderman Johnny Anderson, bans smoking in indoor work sites and in places where the public is invited. It also bans smoking on city-owned property. Exceptions include designated smoking rooms in hotels and private residence not used for child care, adult day care or health care services.
Individuals can be fined $50 for a first offense and $250 for each subsequent offense. Fines for business are $100 for a first offense, $200 for a second offense and $500 as well as revocation of a business license for a third offense.
In passing the ordinance, the board recognized that Mississippians overwhelmingly support smoke-free workplaces. That is especially true in restaurants, where even a majority of smokers supported a ban.
We think the board has taken a strong step toward improving our community and its health with this ordinance. We applaud the aldermen for it.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series