New Albany will join 40 other Mississippi cities and towns Dec. 2 when a smoke-free workplace ordinance goes into effect.
The Board of Aldermen adopted the ordinance unanimously Monday after a public hearing generated no comments from the public. We were a little surprised that no one spoke out against it; perhaps it shows the education campaign about the problems with second-hand smoke is working.
In any case, the ordinance, which was put forward by Alderman Johnny Anderson, bans smoking in indoor work sites and in places where the public is invited. It also bans smoking on city-owned property. Exceptions include designated smoking rooms in hotels and private residence not used for child care, adult day care or health care services.
Individuals can be fined $50 for a first offense and $250 for each subsequent offense. Fines for business are $100 for a first offense, $200 for a second offense and $500 as well as revocation of a business license for a third offense.
In passing the ordinance, the board recognized that Mississippians overwhelmingly support smoke-free workplaces. That is especially true in restaurants, where even a majority of smokers supported a ban.
We think the board has taken a strong step toward improving our community and its health with this ordinance. We applaud the aldermen for it.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...