Anti-smoking ordinance supported
It’s my turn! For years and years I suffered with horrible sinus infections, bronchitis, pneumonia and other ailments. It got so bad that my ears would stop up and I couldn’t hear. I’d get dizzy and could not drive. Finally, I had sinus surgery – a most painful and difficult experience.
When I was young, my parents smoked. No one could figure out why I was sick all the time. Once grown, I worked in an office that allowed smoking. Most restaurants and public areas had a smoking area which did very little to keep the air clear. Consequently, everywhere I went I was exposed to tobacco products.
After my surgery, the doctors ran a battery of allergy tests and surprise, surprise. I was more allergic to tobacco smoke than anything else. So I tied to avoid areas that allowed smoking, but unless I stayed home, there was no way to completely escape the problem.
The year my employer banned smoking in the building, my absences for illness dropped by more than half. Since then, I do not go to places that allow it. As an example, I went to the New Albany Huddle House once. The food was great, but I never returned because I could not breathe in there.
So I say “hurrah” for New Albany’s ordinance regarding tobacco products. It finally gets to be my turn to enjoy our public areas.
Diane M. Jones
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...