Heralding a new day
The wait is over and Corollas are rolling off the assembly line at Union County’s Toyota’s manufacturing plant.
What a few skeptics had predicted would never happen has. For the rest of us who believed from Feb. 27, 2007, the day of the first announcement, it was an exciting and hoopla filled day Thursday as Toyota held its official “line-off” ceremony.
In reality, the plant already has been building cars since October, a fact evident from a lot filled with new Corollas awaiting shipment. But that didn’t matter on a day filled with smiles, speeches and general good will.
Gov. Haley Barbour was on hand with local officials from the three counties – Pontotoc, Union and Lee — that make up the PUL Alliance, the group that put together the site where the plant now sits in Blue Springs.
About 1,300 people already are working at the Toyota plant and hundreds of others already are employed at various parts supplier plants in northeast Mississippi.
On Friday, the governor was scheduled to make stops at parts supplier plants, including a noon visit at Diversity-Vuteq, the large plant now open on Highway 30 West in New Albany.
The festivities, on this week before Thanksgiving, serve as a reminder of the wonderful things that can happen when our community moves forward together, taking bold and progressive steps for a brighter tomorrow.
It’s a new day in Union County.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series