2011 Student Section Challenge
With basketball season beginning to heat up in the county, I’m excited to announce a friendly competition I’m holding for the schools.
From Nov. 28-Dec. 6, the Gazette is going to hold the inaugural Union County Student Section Challenge, to see who has the most school spirit of the county schools.
I have set aside four games over the next week and a half, allowing myself to see each of the five schools. This list has been sent to each of the schools, hopefully in enough time to have a good showing for each.
I’ll begin the competition on Nov. 29 at the New Albany @ Ingomar game. On this night, both Ingomar and the FRA will be judged.
Next weekend, Dec. 2 and Dec. 3, I will watch East Union’s homecoming match-up against Kossuth and Myrtle’s homecoming games the following evening against EU. To be fair, only Myrtle will be judged on the 3rd, so I’m not judging East Union twice.
The contest will close on Dec. 6 when Alcorn Central travels to West Union.
Like with any good competition, there are some rules, and a school will be disqualified if they do not comply.
1. Students may dress up according to a planned theme or however they please so long as it coincides with the dress codes of the New Albany and Union County School Districts. So wear crazy costumes, whatever, just make sure they’re appropriate.
2. Signs are strongly encouraged so long as they do not target an individual player or is negative toward their opponent.
3. Chants and cheers are encouraged, but any that target an individual player, their opponent’s fan base or school are not allowed.
4. Keep in mind the rules of the MHSAA and do not use any artificial noise makers.
Most of all, I want everyone to have fun. Act crazy, within reason, and convince me why you are the best student section in Union County.
Now, what the winning school will receive.
On Dec. 28, the school that wins will have a feature and picture spread in the sports section. May not seem like much, but I know how all you love having your pictures in the paper. Also, I’ll put together a video on the winning section that will appear on the Gazette website.
The winning school will be chosen and announced in the Dec. 9 issue of the Gazette.
I’m excited and hope to see great participation from each school. It’s a fair game, and any school can win, so show your school pride!
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...