NEMCC Tigers remain unbeaten
Lavon Hooks collected a double-double to help propel the Northeast Tigers to a 6-0 start by defeating the Meridian Eagles 80-78 on Monday night in Meridian.
Hooks finished with 18 points and 16 rebounds as Coach Robbins’ squad rallied back in the second half for the win after trailing Meridian 38-37 at the break.
Northeast shot the ball poorly in the first frame only hitting 15-of-40 (38 percent) from the floor and hit just 2-for-7 (28 percent) from downtown but managed to re-group after intermission. The Tigers picked up the pace in second frame by improving to 48 and 43 percent respectively which allowed them to claw their way through to a two-point victory and remain unbeaten on the season.
Freshman guard Acie Vance had another big night on the hardwood to also help push the Tigers down victory lane scoring 20 points hitting 4-for-8 from behind the arc. Jermaine Hollimon added 13 and Deonta Herman chipped in 12 point.
In the opener Coach Brian Alexander’s Lady Tigers lost a hard fought battle to the Lady Eagles 84-76 and dropped to 3-3 overall.
Northeast led at the break 41-35 but turnovers proved to be the difference with the Lady Tigers giving up 26 turnovers compared to just 19 from Meridian.
Amber Jackson led the way for Northeast with 16 points while Anna Brooke Page finished 7-of-7 from the field for 15 points. India Howard tallied 13 points.
Both teams will open up division play on Thursday night, Dec. 1 in Senatobia against Northwest The ladies tip off a 5 p.m. and the men are set to jump at 7 p.m.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...