NEMCC Tigers remain unbeaten
Lavon Hooks collected a double-double to help propel the Northeast Tigers to a 6-0 start by defeating the Meridian Eagles 80-78 on Monday night in Meridian.
Hooks finished with 18 points and 16 rebounds as Coach Robbins’ squad rallied back in the second half for the win after trailing Meridian 38-37 at the break.
Northeast shot the ball poorly in the first frame only hitting 15-of-40 (38 percent) from the floor and hit just 2-for-7 (28 percent) from downtown but managed to re-group after intermission. The Tigers picked up the pace in second frame by improving to 48 and 43 percent respectively which allowed them to claw their way through to a two-point victory and remain unbeaten on the season.
Freshman guard Acie Vance had another big night on the hardwood to also help push the Tigers down victory lane scoring 20 points hitting 4-for-8 from behind the arc. Jermaine Hollimon added 13 and Deonta Herman chipped in 12 point.
In the opener Coach Brian Alexander’s Lady Tigers lost a hard fought battle to the Lady Eagles 84-76 and dropped to 3-3 overall.
Northeast led at the break 41-35 but turnovers proved to be the difference with the Lady Tigers giving up 26 turnovers compared to just 19 from Meridian.
Amber Jackson led the way for Northeast with 16 points while Anna Brooke Page finished 7-of-7 from the field for 15 points. India Howard tallied 13 points.
Both teams will open up division play on Thursday night, Dec. 1 in Senatobia against Northwest The ladies tip off a 5 p.m. and the men are set to jump at 7 p.m.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins outrun Bears in jamboree win August 18, 2016
- Klarksyn Denise Coleman birth announcement August 23, 2016
- Wilder to celebrate 90th birthday August 23, 2016
- Purvis couple celebrates 70th wedding anniversary August 23, 2016
- Hurricane news August 23, 2016
- Long ball drops Lady Hawks August 23, 2016
- Latest city school test scores good August 23, 2016
- Multi-faceted author John Hailman to be guest speaker at Faulkner Literary Luncheon August 23, 2016
- Delinquent tax land sale something of misnomer August 23, 2016
- Paul Rainey museum program returns by popular demand August 23, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...