Siblings lead West Union bowling
West Union has built a tradition in bowling and uniquely has a sibling trio contributing to the success of the program.
Callie and Dalton Baggett entered this season as the captains for the Eagles and Lady Eagles, and for them and their younger brother, Chandler, bowling is just second nature as it is a sport they have participated in since they were young children.
“Our uncle owns the bowling alley and he’s always had the youth league on Saturdays, so we’ve bowled in that since we were little,” Callie said. “Guess we were just built to all bowl.”
Callie has the tough task of leading a Lady Eagle squad that only returns three members from last year’s team. Working with six new members, several of which have never played until this year, Callie sees the potential of the team and hopes for another chance at a state championship.
“They’re improving fast,” she explained. “I just hope we can build our team up. We don’t necessarily have to win every match, but I would like to, and I just hope we can all improve throughout the season so we can win state.”
The Eagles enter this season as the defending state champions, with Dalton leading the way. Already named one of the best bowlers in the state, Dalton mentioned his teammates that have stepped up so far this season and for the Eagles, they hope to repeat.
When asked who is the best bowler of the bunch, there was no hesitation, as Callie immediately pointed to Dalton.
“I’m not going to say it’s me,” she laughed, “but I’m trying.”
Having the siblings together on the team gives them more opportunities to help each other in the sport, as they take the time point out mistakes and humbly accept advice.
“We help each other out and correct one another when we make a wrong move,” Dalton said. “We practice a lot together and just do whatever it takes to improve ourselves and help one another.”
West Union has competed in two matches so far, with the Eagles winning both against Lafayette and North Pontotoc and the Lady Eagles defeating Lafayette and splitting against the Lady Vikings.
West Union will next compete on Monday, Dec. 5 against North Pontotoc, and the Union County showdown with East Union is Dec. 13.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...