Rebels take wins over Houlka
Hickory Flat overcame a double figure deficit in the first half of its game against Houlka, and behind 24 points from Anthony Tucker, pulled away for a 62-56 win on Tuesday night.
Dante Turner led Houlka with eight first quarter points, as the Wildcats led by nine, 17-8, after the opening frame.
The Rebels made several adjustments in the second, after finding themselves down by as many as 13.
Early in the ball game, we were giving up too many lay ups off of our press,” coach Michael Seger said. “We started keeping them in front a little bit and got a few more traps in the back court, forcing 15 turnovers before the half. That gave us the opportunity to get the ball inside, and we did a good job of not settling for jumpers and got the ball inside.”
“They’re a tough group to go against in the post, so we did a good job of finding good shots and the turnovers allowed us to catch up.”
Trey Reed hit a three-pointer, making it a three-point game, and Anthony Tucker tied the game off his three-point play, making it 29-29 at the half.
Tucker opened the second half, scoring the first five points, nine in the third, as the Rebels held on for the win.
“He’s everything you want in a leader,” Seger said of Tucker. “He’s a hard worker and a good teammate. You know what you’re going to get out of him every night. He’s been consistently getting double-doubles, points and rebounds, and not to mention that he leads the team in charges taken, so that shows he really cares about his teammates.”
Courtney Bean scored 13 points for the Rebels, and Jarvis Pulliam led Houlka with 22 points.
Hickory Flat 56 Houlka 25 (girls)
The Lady Rebels picked up its third win of the season, led by 11 points from Kadedjar Moore.
Hickory Flat opened the game scoring the first 10 points and led 18-5 after the first. Megan Roth scored nine points, all off of three-pointers, in the second quarter, as the Lady Rebels led 38-9 at the break.
Amber Thompson and Brianna Reaves each scored 10 points for Hickory Flat, who will next play Marshall Academy on Friday.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...