East Union football
The Union County School District Board has voted to do away with the Union County varsity football team and move the program to the East Union Attendance Center.
The 3-2 vote will allow the East Union Urchins to move forward competing with other small schools in Class 2A. A county-wide team would eventually have had to compete in Class 5A, one division larger than the New Albany Bulldogs classification.
The board left until a later date what to do with football at the non-high school level.
Supporters of the East Union-only concept say students at the other county schools showed little interest in playing football. We agree that coaches and administrators at the other schools never really got on board and pushed the concept.
Having football as a sport at only one of the county schools certainly is not a precedent-setting move. Union County has a mish-mash of sports programs at individual schools: West Union and East Union have archery and bowling; Ingomar and West Union have golf, and East Union and Myrtle have track.
But we see two problems with the board’s decision. First, football is an expensive program to operate, and we question whether county taxpayers should be asked to pay for it at one school, which is struggling with its academic programs.
But more importantly, the decision goes against the board’s strong vision for implementing county-wide programs, including an annual musical production, a band and eventually advanced placement classes.
It’s a step back for county-wide school cooperation.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...