East Union football
The Union County School District Board has voted to do away with the Union County varsity football team and move the program to the East Union Attendance Center.
The 3-2 vote will allow the East Union Urchins to move forward competing with other small schools in Class 2A. A county-wide team would eventually have had to compete in Class 5A, one division larger than the New Albany Bulldogs classification.
The board left until a later date what to do with football at the non-high school level.
Supporters of the East Union-only concept say students at the other county schools showed little interest in playing football. We agree that coaches and administrators at the other schools never really got on board and pushed the concept.
Having football as a sport at only one of the county schools certainly is not a precedent-setting move. Union County has a mish-mash of sports programs at individual schools: West Union and East Union have archery and bowling; Ingomar and West Union have golf, and East Union and Myrtle have track.
But we see two problems with the board’s decision. First, football is an expensive program to operate, and we question whether county taxpayers should be asked to pay for it at one school, which is struggling with its academic programs.
But more importantly, the decision goes against the board’s strong vision for implementing county-wide programs, including an annual musical production, a band and eventually advanced placement classes.
It’s a step back for county-wide school cooperation.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes September 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights September 29, 2016
- The Playhouse September 29, 2016
- New web site allows better public access to campaign finance reports September 29, 2016
- East Union Attendance Center 2016 Homecoming Court September 29, 2016
- City sales revenue continues upswing September 29, 2016
- First solar energy farm here gets PSC approval September 29, 2016
- Ignoring burn ban can cost you money September 29, 2016
- BNA Bank converting former bus station into new mortgage center September 29, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...