Doing right things right
Our community breathed a collective sigh of relief this week with news that a New Albany man has been charged with capital murder in the shooting death of Amanda Price.
The killing, and the wounding of her husband, New Albany football coach Ron Price, were described by Police Chief David Grisham as a random act of violence.
It must be some relief to the Price family to know that someone is behind bars and the family was not being targeted. However, there is much grieving to be done as Coach Price goes about the job of carrying on his life and raising a three-year-old child without her mother.
So far the community has done all the right things. A reward fund that has grown to nearly $25,000 was created. A college fund for the child has been established.
And our police department has worked tirelessly, with some help from the state highway patrol and the county sheriff’s department, to track down leads in the case. Everyone connected to this effort should be congratulated.
As we understand it, the existence of a reward may have played some role in the case. If that turns out to be true, at least some part of the reward should be paid even though the informant may not be a model citizen. They seldom are.
After that is resolved, we would hope that donors would agree to forwarding the remainder to the Molly Addison Price Scholarship Fund at Renasant Bank, 300 East Bankhead St.
And we hope you will add to the fund with your contribution.
We’re a community that takes care of its own, and we’re continuing to demonstrate that.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...