Doing right things right
Our community breathed a collective sigh of relief this week with news that a New Albany man has been charged with capital murder in the shooting death of Amanda Price.
The killing, and the wounding of her husband, New Albany football coach Ron Price, were described by Police Chief David Grisham as a random act of violence.
It must be some relief to the Price family to know that someone is behind bars and the family was not being targeted. However, there is much grieving to be done as Coach Price goes about the job of carrying on his life and raising a three-year-old child without her mother.
So far the community has done all the right things. A reward fund that has grown to nearly $25,000 was created. A college fund for the child has been established.
And our police department has worked tirelessly, with some help from the state highway patrol and the county sheriff’s department, to track down leads in the case. Everyone connected to this effort should be congratulated.
As we understand it, the existence of a reward may have played some role in the case. If that turns out to be true, at least some part of the reward should be paid even though the informant may not be a model citizen. They seldom are.
After that is resolved, we would hope that donors would agree to forwarding the remainder to the Molly Addison Price Scholarship Fund at Renasant Bank, 300 East Bankhead St.
And we hope you will add to the fund with your contribution.
We’re a community that takes care of its own, and we’re continuing to demonstrate that.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...