Doing right things right
Our community breathed a collective sigh of relief this week with news that a New Albany man has been charged with capital murder in the shooting death of Amanda Price.
The killing, and the wounding of her husband, New Albany football coach Ron Price, were described by Police Chief David Grisham as a random act of violence.
It must be some relief to the Price family to know that someone is behind bars and the family was not being targeted. However, there is much grieving to be done as Coach Price goes about the job of carrying on his life and raising a three-year-old child without her mother.
So far the community has done all the right things. A reward fund that has grown to nearly $25,000 was created. A college fund for the child has been established.
And our police department has worked tirelessly, with some help from the state highway patrol and the county sheriff’s department, to track down leads in the case. Everyone connected to this effort should be congratulated.
As we understand it, the existence of a reward may have played some role in the case. If that turns out to be true, at least some part of the reward should be paid even though the informant may not be a model citizen. They seldom are.
After that is resolved, we would hope that donors would agree to forwarding the remainder to the Molly Addison Price Scholarship Fund at Renasant Bank, 300 East Bankhead St.
And we hope you will add to the fund with your contribution.
We’re a community that takes care of its own, and we’re continuing to demonstrate that.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...