Vote again on rentals
A year has passed since the New Albany Board of Aldermen considered a plan to establish minimum standards for rental housing. The proposal was defeated on a 2-3 vote.
We think it is time to look at the issue again.
Because New Albany has no minimum rental standards, we have a higher percentage of low-cost and low-quality rentals than many communities in our state. Low-quality rentals lead to more random crime, declining property values, deteriorating neighborhoods and a decline in the tax base.
The proposal offered by Alderman Scott Dunnam was a sound one and would have created only standards that are minimal: water, a toilet, sink, bathtub or shower, heat and ventilation, electrical, protection from weather and the like.
It would have given the city building inspector the authority to prevent rental units from being occupied if the minimum standards were not met.
The plan was the object of an intense lobbying campaign by a group of landlords. Most landlords are responsible individuals who would have had to make few, if any, changes to their properties. But a few are nothing more than slumlords who do not keep their properties maintained.
We think it is the responsibility of a community to see that decent housing is available for individuals and families who have low-income jobs. We support that housing. That’s not the issue here.
The issue here is sleazy rental housing. Sleazy rental housing leads to sleazy renters and more crime – vehicle and home break-ins, and worse.
It’s time to vote again on rental housing standards.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...