Wine and spirts sale supported
By way of introduction, I am a resident of Alabama who has business interests in New Albany and visits the area quite often. I am very excited at the prospect of economic growth being offered by the upcoming referendum to allow sales of wine and spirits.
This will bring in full-service restaurants, motels, and other businesses, which will improve quality of life for the residents of New Albany as well as providing greatly increased tax revenue for schools and other city services.
As an example, a Dec. 27 article in the Tupelo Journal reported that Starkville Mayor Parker Wiseman stated that tax receipts from restaurant income through October 2011 were on track to exceed last year’s record $1.38 million. I realize that New Albany is one-third the size of Starkville, but you do the math.
I have personally contacted city officials in 12 towns in Alabama which have approved such referendums in the past five years. Without exception, each reported a decrease in DUIs and domestic violence, while seeing strong increases in tax revenue. Sheldon Day, mayor of Thomasville, Ala., population 4,422, stated that they had experienced an increase of some $500,000 in tax revenue per year for the schools and municipal services.
I hope the good citizens of New Albany and Union County will take advantage of this opportunity and vote for the legal sale of wine and spirits on Jan. 10.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights September 29, 2016
- The Playhouse September 29, 2016
- New web site allows better public access to campaign finance reports September 29, 2016
- Church honors first responders September 29, 2016
- East Union opens division play at Byers September 30, 2016
- Headed to postseason September 30, 2016
- East Union Attendance Center 2016 Homecoming Court September 29, 2016
- City sales revenue continues upswing September 29, 2016
- First solar energy farm here gets PSC approval September 29, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...