Grow or wither?
What has generally been a low-key campaign on the proposal to allow the sale of wine and spirits in New Albany will be decided Tuesday, Jan. 10, in a special election.
The issue was placed on the ballot through a petition drive by local citizens.
Voters throughout the county may cast a ballot on the issue, but actual sales, either in restaurants or wine and spirits stores, would be confined to the city limits.
We have said before, and we will do so again in this space, that the Gazette urges a vote “For” this issue because it will mean more hotels and more restaurants will consider New Albany as a place to do business.
It’s no secret that national chain restaurants such as Applebee’s, Chili’s, Ruby Tuesday, Longhorn Steak Houses and others are reluctant to locate restaurants in areas that do not serve alcohol.
Upscale hotels, ones that include a restaurant in their operation, also bypass dry counties.
We understand that some residents in the community are strongly opposed to drinking alcohol, or to being around those who drink alcohol or in places where it is served. That is their right.
We assume they do not go to the Olive Garden or Red Lobster or any of the other restaurants in Tupelo. Or to the Grove in Oxford.
But for those of us who do, a vote “For” Tuesday is a vote to bring national restaurants to New Albany and a vote to keep more of our money and the accompanying tax revenue at home in Union County.
A vote “For” Tuesday is a vote for progress and development in our community. The choice is to grow or to wither.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...