Lady Rebels top Senatobia in home tournament
Hickory Flat endured a tough, physical match-up in its home tournament on Saturday; one that coach Alicia Pickens hopes will give her team experience and confidence heading into division play.
“They let us play physical, which was good; we needed that. This was a good experience being able to play hard and physical. They’re (Senatobia) quick and athletic, and they put a lot of pressure on our ball handlers, which was good experience for us.”
Against the Lady Warriors, Hickory Flat trailed by two after the first quarter, but jumped in the lead in the second off a three-pointer by Megan Roth. The Lady Rebels remained in the lead until the fourth, when Dieasha Todd put Senatobia in front, and the two teams traded the lead until a basket by Brianna Reaves helped give the Lady Rebels the 39-38 win.
Reaves led Hickory Flat with 10 points, while Jennifer Walls led Senatobia with 12 points.
Hickory Flat goes into division play on Tuesday, taking on Walnut before a Friday showdown with Ashland.
“We know we’ve got to get better at blocking out and rebounding, things like that,” Pickens said. “I’m proud of them. They didn’t lose their heads, and they did a good job of finishing off.”
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...