Judon among NEMCC signees
Northeast Mississippi Community College softball coach Jody Long has announced the signing of eight athletes for the 2012-13 Lady Tiger softball team.
Long was able to get all eight athletes to attend a signing ceremony that took place in the Black and Gold Room in the Haney Union on the Northeast Booneville campus on Wednesday, January 18.
“It is a great class,” Long said. “We lose 12 sophomores off our 2012 squad, so we are very excited about signing eight today.”
Long was able to score a majority of his signing class from within Northeast’s five-county district with six players signing from Alcorn, Prentiss, Tishomingo, Tippah and Union counties.
Emily Horn and Gracie Michael decided to stay close to home by agreeing to become Lady Tigers for the 2012-13 season. Horn was a catcher for the Booneville Lady Blue Devils while Michael was a catcher for the Wheeler Lady Eagles.
Also joining Horn and Michael were Myrtle utility player Kiana Judon and Walnut’s Becky Robinson.
Long got a pair of same-name athletes with Kossuth’s Dana Glissen and Tishomingo County’s Dannah Glover to agree to become Lady Tigers as well.
In addition to Long signing six in-district athletes, the veteran Lady Tiger mentor was able to sign Haleigh Moffett out of West Lauderdale and Trenisha King from Colbert Heights, Ala.
Long and the Lady Tigers will kick off the 2012 softball season on the road at Calhoun (Ala.) Community College before heading to Meridian for the Rush Invitational on February 17-18. Northeast’s first home games will come during the tenth-annual Northeast TigerFest Tournament on February 24-25.
Judon appeared in all 18 games for Marty Cook’s Lady Hawks during her junior season in 2010-11 and batted .508 with a .537 on base percentage.
Judon was a threat at the plate for the Lady Hawks finishing the season with a .905 slugging percentage while scoring 21 runs and driving in 24.
During her junior season, Judon collected six doubles, five triples and three homeruns for Myrtle and was a perfect 15-for-15 on the base paths.
Judon committed four errors during last season while getting multiple chances as a utility player for the Lady Hawks.
About Chris Elkins
- New Albany school menu for Jan. 23-27 January 18, 2017
- New Furniture Academy will give workers head start toward jobs, better pay January 18, 2017
- The Playhouse January 19, 2017
- Know Your Neighbor Better – Joey Watson January 19, 2017
- NEMCC Parade of Beauties January 19, 2017
- Lady Bulldogs shutout Caledonia in playoff opener January 24, 2017
- Robertson’s Lady Challenge celebrates 20th annual tournament January 24, 2017
- Falcons fall in closing seconds to Bearcats January 24, 2017
- Lady Urchin Power January 21, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...