Lady Tigers get big road win, Tigers fall in final seconds
First year Lady Tiger head coach Brian Alexander picked up a big victory on the road in Scooba over the Lady Lions while the Tigers dropped a heartbreaker in the nightcap Tuesday evening in Scooba.
Northeast won the opener 66-57 over East Mississippi (4-9, 1-2) at Keyes T. Currie Coliseum to improve to 6-7 overall—but more importantly moved to 2-1 in the MACJC North Division standings.
Coach Alexander’s team received a game-high 22 points from Amber Jackson while Anna Brooke Page and Shunquest Howell added 16 points apiece.
Trailing only 26-27 at halftime, East Mississippi couldn’t overcome a second-half scoring drought that lasted nearly 10 minutes. The Lady Tigers expanded their lead to 45-35 by the 8:07 mark of the second half and held the Lady Lions at bay the rest of the way.
In the nightcap it was the Lions point guard D.J. Evans who sealed the deal for East Mississippi (10-2, 3-0) when he hit a three pointer with 12.9 seconds remaining to lift the Lions to an 83-81 win over seventeenth ranked Northeast (10-2, 1-2). Following the Evans basket, the Lions Tradarrius McPhearson’s closed it out with a game-saving steal at the buzzer.
Top performers for the Tigers included Acie Vance who led all scorers with 23 points followed by Jermaine Hollimon 17 point effort.
Colin Borchert led the way for East Mississippi with 15 points despite fouling out with 8:28 remaining in the contest. McPhearson followed with 14 points, nine boards, and five assists.
Northeast will look to pull off the sweep in its next north division match-up when the Tigers and Lady Tigers face-off against Coahoma Community College at Bonner Arnold Coliseum on Thursday, January 19. Tip-off for the ladies is set for 5:30 p.m. with the men to follow.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert