Lady Tigers get big road win, Tigers fall in final seconds
First year Lady Tiger head coach Brian Alexander picked up a big victory on the road in Scooba over the Lady Lions while the Tigers dropped a heartbreaker in the nightcap Tuesday evening in Scooba.
Northeast won the opener 66-57 over East Mississippi (4-9, 1-2) at Keyes T. Currie Coliseum to improve to 6-7 overall—but more importantly moved to 2-1 in the MACJC North Division standings.
Coach Alexander’s team received a game-high 22 points from Amber Jackson while Anna Brooke Page and Shunquest Howell added 16 points apiece.
Trailing only 26-27 at halftime, East Mississippi couldn’t overcome a second-half scoring drought that lasted nearly 10 minutes. The Lady Tigers expanded their lead to 45-35 by the 8:07 mark of the second half and held the Lady Lions at bay the rest of the way.
In the nightcap it was the Lions point guard D.J. Evans who sealed the deal for East Mississippi (10-2, 3-0) when he hit a three pointer with 12.9 seconds remaining to lift the Lions to an 83-81 win over seventeenth ranked Northeast (10-2, 1-2). Following the Evans basket, the Lions Tradarrius McPhearson’s closed it out with a game-saving steal at the buzzer.
Top performers for the Tigers included Acie Vance who led all scorers with 23 points followed by Jermaine Hollimon 17 point effort.
Colin Borchert led the way for East Mississippi with 15 points despite fouling out with 8:28 remaining in the contest. McPhearson followed with 14 points, nine boards, and five assists.
Northeast will look to pull off the sweep in its next north division match-up when the Tigers and Lady Tigers face-off against Coahoma Community College at Bonner Arnold Coliseum on Thursday, January 19. Tip-off for the ladies is set for 5:30 p.m. with the men to follow.
About Chris Elkins
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- New Furniture Academy will give workers head start toward jobs, better pay January 18, 2017
- The Playhouse January 19, 2017
- Lady Bulldogs shutout Caledonia in playoff opener January 24, 2017
- Robertson’s Lady Challenge celebrates 20th annual tournament January 24, 2017
- Falcons fall in closing seconds to Bearcats January 24, 2017
- Lady Urchin Power January 21, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...