Previewing the Hotbed Classic
It’s the little things that make the Hotbed Classic unique and brings in some of the state’s elite year after year.
The latest installment of the tournament, sponsored by the New Albany Kiwanis Club, will showcase some of the area’s premier teams outside of Union County, Baldwyn and Booneville, along with the five county schools and Calera from Alabama.
While the Baldwyn-Piney Woods showdown at 3:30 is sure to garner a lot of interest, the premier match-up in this year’s classic has defending 3A champion Booneville taking on 5A powerhouse Starkville at 8 p.m.
“Booneville doesn’t have that true big man, but they have great depth and guards, and Starkville has great guards,” tournament chairman Mike Nobles said. “They have similar styles and lots of depth, and the only difference is Starkville is 5A and Booneville is 3A.”
“Both Piney Woods and Baldwyn were in 2A last year and were supposed to meet in the state finals, but Baldwyn was upset. Now Piney Woods is in 1A, and we want them to have the chance to play one another. They’re both athletic, and it’s going to be a great match-up.”
New Albany will play in the 6:30 slot, taking on 5A Pearl, which is 19-2 on the year and features 6-6 point-guard Twymond Howard, who leads the team in scoring, averaging 25 points and 12 rebounds per game.
“That was just a natural match-up because New Albany is athletic, and with Moses and everyone else they have, they can match up with anyone, athletic wise,” Nobles said. “From an athlete standpoint, we thought this would be a good match-up.”
Nobles noted the success of the tournament in previous years is why great competition, like Calera, continue to participate.
“Coaches like coming here, because we treat them right, and it’s the little things we do that make this tournament unique,” he said. “We try to equally match the teams up, and we give them a chance to play teams they wouldn’t normally play, so it’s like a playoff atmosphere before the playoffs.”
About Chris Elkins
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 27, 2016
- Macedonia news July 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news July 27, 2016
- Required vaccinations safe and reliable July 27, 2016
- Local swimmers compete in long course state meet July 27, 2016
- Tax-free weekend coming up July 27, 2016
- Health officer reminds parents about required school vaccinations. July 27, 2016
- Supervisors ask for bridge redesign to lower construction costs July 27, 2016
- Get a year’s worth of news for only $29 July 27, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...