Coldwater wins showdown at Myrtle
There was not anything particularly special about the defense Coldwater put on Myrtle, the Lady Cougars just out-hustled in the first half and held on for a 47-43 win division over the Lady Hawks on Tuesday, despite a strong comeback by Myrtle in the second half.
“We didn’t play good, we just played like we were intimidated in the first half, but we’re going to be alright,” Myrtle coach Chris Greer said.
Neither team displayed much offense in the first quarter, and Coldwater held a two-point edge, 8-6, with Meshay Cox accounting for all of Myrtle’s points in the frame.
Behind nine points from Jerontay Clemmons, Coldwater outscored the Lady Hawks, 15-3, in the second, a run that opened with the Lady Cougars scoring eight straight to open the quarter.
Aspriona Gilbert scored her first points of the game, having three at the break, and came out in the third scoring 10 points. The first of four three-pointers by Kiana Judon made it a seven-point game, and the senior later cut the deficit to two, 34-32, at the end of the quarter.
“They played us in a two-three zone, and they just got a few more rebounds and outplayed us in the first half,” Greer said. “I thought Kiana came through in the second half with some big shots for us, and that helped us get back in the game.”
Meshay Cox put Myrtle ahead briefly, 35-34, off her three-pointer, and Judon gave Myrtle its biggest advantage at 38-35. Kaleesha Leverson gave Coldwater its final lead, 39-38, and despite its comeback attempt in the final minute, the Lady Hawks fell to 2-2 in division play.
Clemmons finished with a game-high 31 points to lead Coldwater (20-3, 3-1), while Gilbert led Myrtle (22-2, 2-2) with 16 points. Judon added 12 points for the Lady Hawks, which will close division play at Ashland on Friday.
“We’re going back to practice this week, and we know we have to go over there and just play hard,” Greer said of the match-up. “Now that we’ve lost to Coldwater, we need to go out and beat Ashland and finish strong in division play.”
Coldwater 82 Myrtle 69 (boys)
Robert Montgomery scored a game-high 34 points in the Hawks’ division loss to Coldwater.
The Cougars came out strong, going ahead 13-3 in the first quarter, but behind the three-point shooting of Myrtle, the lead was cut to single digits, 23-14, after the first.
The Hawks outscored Coldwater, 15-10, to trail 33-29 at the half, but Coldwater had a big third quarter, led by nine points from Marcel Newson.
Coldwater (19-4, 4-0) had four players finish in double figures, Chris Vortis with 21 points, Davion Merritt with 13 points, Newson with 12 points and Jakevin Farmer with 10 points.
Jonathan West finished with 10 points for the Hawks.
Myrtle drops to 15-10 (1-3) with the loss.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series