History made for Lady ‘Dawgs
History was made for the Lady Bulldogs, and Saturday features several firsts for the young squad.
Never has the girls’ soccer team made it to the second round of the playoffs, but that will change after New Albany defeated Lewisburg, 2-0, in Tuesday’s first round.
“This is very big for our program,” coach Les Huntington said.
“Our defense played phenomenally throughout the entire game, but particularly in the first half. They (Lewisburg) had several opportunities to score on us, but we prevented all of that, and Summer Sanderson had a great game in the goal.”
Martha Vance Alef broke the scoreless tie in the second half, and with three minutes remaining, Hannah Anderson sealed the win with her goal, assisted by Randi Stevens. Huntington credited all of his seniors and said his team is very much looking forward to being at home for the next round.
“This is a first for us (hosting a playoff game), so we’re excited, and this is great, especially for our seniors.”
New Albany will face Germantown, which defeated Pontotoc, 1-0, on Tuesday. The Lady Mavericks are 6-6 on the season and come from Region 4-4A, located in Madison.
“We’re going to have light practices for the rest of the week, and at this point, we’re not introducing anything new,” Huntington explained of his team’s preparation. “We just want to own the skills we already know, and we’ve come together, yesterday more than I’ve ever seen before.”
Lewisburg 3 New Albany 2 (boys)
The Bulldogs’ season came to an end on Tuesday, falling 3-2 in overtime at Lewisburg.
The teams were deadlocked in a scoreless tie entering the second half, which was later broken by Anthony Fernandez and Eduardo Fernandez’s goals for NA.
Lewisburg tied the contest with 16 minutes remaining in regulation, and in overtime, the Patriots scored in the 19th minute to advance to the second round.
New Albany ends the season at 8-5.
There will be more on the Lady Bulldogs in “View from the Cheap Seats” in Friday's Gazette.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert