New Albany’s Alef signs with Northeast baseball
Northeast Mississippi Community College head baseball coach Kent Farris has announced that the Tigers have signed Riley Alef, a catcher from New Albany for the 2012-13 season.
Alef becomes the fifth signee of Farris’ 2012-13 class joining Lafayette County’s Luke Stanley, Corinth’s Lew Johnson and Kossuth’s David Gipson and Heath Wood.
Alef helped lead the John Walker’s New Albany Bulldog baseball team to a second round appearance in the Mississippi High School Activities Association’s Class 4A state baseball playoffs during his junior year.
Last year, Alef and New Albany were able to sport a 22-12 overall record with a 7-3 mark in league play with Alef batting .389 with a .538 on base percentage and a .611 slugging percentage.
Alef was more than a threat at the plate for the Bulldogs. The New Albany athlete was also steady on the defensive side of the diamond sporting a .986 fielding percentage committing just four errors all year in 284 chances.
While behind the plate for New Albany, Alef only allowed three passed balls during his 34-game junior campaign.
During his junior year, Alef scored 10 runs while batting in 29 more with nine doubles and four homeruns.
When not behind the plate for New Albany, Alef also clocked time at the hot corner (third base) and on the mound for the Bulldogs where he struck out three in his only appearance of the year against Lafayette County.
When not on the diamond, Alef also saw time on both sides of the ball for Ron Price’s New Albany Bulldog football team.
During the 2011 season, Alef hauled in 29 catches for 351 yards as a tight end and recorded 185 stops (107 solo and 78 assists) from his linebacker spot on the defense.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...