Cummings signs with BMC baseball
Northeast Mississippi Community College right-handed pitcher Beau Cummings (Myrtle) has agreed to continue his baseball career after signing a grant-in-aid with Blue Mountain College.
Cummings, a 6-4, 198-pound pitcher, made it official on Tuesday, February 7 inside the media room on the second floor of the Haney Union on the Northeast Booneville campus.
During his first year with the Tigers, Cummings posted a 3-6 record on the mound but drew a hard-luck decisions in a trio of close contests during the 2011 season.
Cummings clocked 50.1 innings for the Tigers in 2011 and gave up just 30 earn runs in 15 appearances for Northeast.
In his 50-plus innings for Kent Farris’ club, Cummings struck out 41 against just 27 walks and was fourth on the team in strikeouts per inning with .815 strikeouts per frame.
In his freshman year, Cummings had a .867 fielding percentage for the Tigers, who went 22-20 overall and finished the competitive North Division at a break-even 12-12.
While at Myrtle High School, Cummings played under former Tiger baseball standout Robert Gordon and was a dual sport standout excelling not only on the diamond but also on the hardwood for the Hawks as well. In his junior year, Cummings batted .411 and increased his batting average by nearly 70 points in his final year with the Hawks.
When not on the mound for Myrtle, Cummings, who also played outfield, found time to be part of the Cotton States Baseball League in New Albany as well as the Mississippi Select Baseball League’s Northwest Mississippi Dealers.
Cummings and the rest of the Tiger baseball team will kick off their 2012 season when Northeast hosts Wallace State (Ala.)-Hanceville on Valentine’s Day (February 14) at Harold T. White Field in Booneville. First pitch is set for noon.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...