Charter schools opposed
Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves, along with Senate Education Chairman, Sen. Gray Tollison, have recommended a bill, SB 2401, that would take local ad valorem taxes from one district to fund a charter school in another district. It is unimaginable that the our elected representatives would pass a law to fund charter schools in one county with tax dollars from another.
Also, the bill would fund virtual charter schools with local ad valorem taxes being taken from towns like New Albany, Oxford, and Pontotoc and sent to California, Colorado and New York. Local funds should not be used for charter schools, especially in another county or state.
Tate Reeves needs to be careful who he listens to. Forest Thigpen, the person who has been pushing charter schools for years, is funded by home-school advocates, a group that makes up less than one percent of Mississippi’s population.
If folks with low performing public schools want charter schools, let them have them. But those of us with good public schools don’t want them – and we don’t want our local tax dollars going to pay for them.
Catering to less than one percent of voters is a bad strategy. Keep charter schools out of our good school districts!
Lorie Grisham Wade
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series