Northeast baseball continues nine-game, eight-day stretch
Northeast Mississippi Community College baseball team continued its stretch of nine games in eight days as the Tigers took on Jackson State (Tenn.) Community College and Wallace State-Hanceville from Alabama on February 27-28.
Northeast (4-5) captured its nine-inning, one-game affair against the Generals on February 27 12-9 before dropping a pair of hard-fought decisions to the Lions 6-0, 15-10 on February 28.
Beginning with its doubleheader against second-ranked Jones County Junior College on Saturday, February 25, Northeast was scheduled to play nine games in eight days with the Tigers trek culminating with a doubleheader against the Arkansas Baptist Buffaloes on Saturday, March 3 at Harold T. White Field in Booneville.
Northeast swept Jones County Junior College to start its road trek before making it athree-game win streak after knocking off the Generals on Monday, February 27.
Wallace State, which took a pair from the Tigers in the season opener on February 15, completed the season sweep with two wins on Tuesday, February 28.
In the game against Jackson State, Northeast saw Jackson State stay with the Tigers through the first half of the game but Northeast was able to put the game away with a five-run sixth inning.
Northeast added an insurance run in the seventh and ninth innings to take the three-run victory.
Tyler Basil picked up his first win of the year while the Tigers knocked around 11 basehits in the contest lead by Justin Neal’s three. The Tigers came away with four extra base hits with the Drews – Drew Cristo and Drew Chisholm – claiming two.
Cristo and Neal slapped around doubles while Chris Aichinger and Chisholm picked up triples in the game against the Generals.
In the doubleheader against Wallace State, Northeast waited until the second game to find its offense as the Lions were able to shut down the Tigers in the opener, limiting Northeast to just two hits.
In the nightcap, Northeast bashed out eight hits against Wallace State and racked up 10 runs – eight in its first three at bats – but it wasn’t enough against the Lions.
Afterseeing Wallace State jump out to a 3-0 lead, Northeast rallied to knot the game at 3-all in the second and then plated five in the third to take an 8-4 lead over the Lions.
However, Wallace State answered with five of its own in the third and tacked on six more over the fourth and fifth frames in taking a 15-8 lead.
Northeast tried to mount a comeback but fell short with just two runs in the sixth.
Josh Mills and Eric Wilson led the Tigers at the plate with four of the Tigers eight hits in the second game – two apiece – and Will Robertson had Northeast’s only multiple base hit of the nightcap – a double.
Northeast will continue its week when the Tigers travel to Jackson to take on Hinds Community College on Thursday, March 1. First pitch has been reschedule to 1 p.m. with the doubleheader being played at Smith-Wills Stadium.
Northeast will conclude its nine-game, eight-day trek when the Tigers host Arkansas Baptist College on Saturday, March 3 at Harold T. White Field in Booneville. That doubleheader is slated to start at noon.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...