Previewing spring sports
The spring sports season is underway, and I’ve enjoyed catching some of the early season action over the last two weeks.
There’s plenty to look forward to with New Albany baseball coming off of its big win in the NEMCABB tournament last summer, and East Union also returns a talented squad that could make a run in 2A. And also in 1A, the county teams lose a lot from last year, but you can never count them out in the playoffs.
Also, defending 1A softball north half champion, West Union, will look to make another trip to Jackson.
Not only focusing on baseball and softball this spring, there are several other teams that could find success, particularly track, where the county has been known to have success. East Union will add on that sport this year, and has been doing well in its first season in powerlifting.
In golf, I’ll be most interested in seeing how Molly Hale performs this year and if she can bring home the individual title in 1A, something she was close to doing last year. In preparation for the new seasons, the Gazette will publish the final sports magazine of the school year next Wednesday.
Included in the spring sports magazine are season previews for each baseball and softball team in the county, along with team pictures for archery, bowling, golf, powerlifting, track and tennis.
I’m proud to have had this opportunity to provide these glossy publications for all of you this school year, as it gives all of the kids, any sport, a chance to have equal coverage.
In the coming weeks, there’s plenty to keep all of us busy with the county baseball tournament at Myrtle during spring break and the county softball tournament following the next weekend.
I’m excited for the last leg of the school year and look forward to hopefully seeing some of our schools make it far in the playoffs and maybe even to Jackson.
And now that it’s warming up, don’t be surprised if you see my four-legged assistant, Lucky, joining me at all the ball games.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...