Previewing spring sports
The spring sports season is underway, and I’ve enjoyed catching some of the early season action over the last two weeks.
There’s plenty to look forward to with New Albany baseball coming off of its big win in the NEMCABB tournament last summer, and East Union also returns a talented squad that could make a run in 2A. And also in 1A, the county teams lose a lot from last year, but you can never count them out in the playoffs.
Also, defending 1A softball north half champion, West Union, will look to make another trip to Jackson.
Not only focusing on baseball and softball this spring, there are several other teams that could find success, particularly track, where the county has been known to have success. East Union will add on that sport this year, and has been doing well in its first season in powerlifting.
In golf, I’ll be most interested in seeing how Molly Hale performs this year and if she can bring home the individual title in 1A, something she was close to doing last year. In preparation for the new seasons, the Gazette will publish the final sports magazine of the school year next Wednesday.
Included in the spring sports magazine are season previews for each baseball and softball team in the county, along with team pictures for archery, bowling, golf, powerlifting, track and tennis.
I’m proud to have had this opportunity to provide these glossy publications for all of you this school year, as it gives all of the kids, any sport, a chance to have equal coverage.
In the coming weeks, there’s plenty to keep all of us busy with the county baseball tournament at Myrtle during spring break and the county softball tournament following the next weekend.
I’m excited for the last leg of the school year and look forward to hopefully seeing some of our schools make it far in the playoffs and maybe even to Jackson.
And now that it’s warming up, don’t be surprised if you see my four-legged assistant, Lucky, joining me at all the ball games.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...