Community embracing this weekend’s race
On Saturday, more than 1,000 people will gather at New Albany Elementary to honor the life of Amanda Price. This is something I’ve written about several times since her passing last December, and on the eve of the 5K named after her, I want to do so once more, not only to reiterate some information, but also to show gratitude to the people who have worked to put this together.
Some interesting facts I’ve learned about this race: the Amanda Price Memorial 5K will be one of the largest races ever held in Mississippi, second only to The Watermelon Classic in Jackson, which normally holds around 1,600 annually. Also, there are 76 sponsors, as well as close to 1,300 runners for the 5K, and registration will go on today and tomorrow morning with the race closing with 1,500 runners.
I wrote earlier this week about parking and some tips for anyone in town who is participating. Since it looks like we’re going to have some rain leading up to race day, the shuttle service at the New Albany Fairgrounds is in place, and I would encourage everyone to try and use that or park at one of the businesses close to the school. Let’s try to keep parking at the school for anyone who’s coming from out of town, and of course, be patient throughout the morning, as I’m sure there will be a good amount of traffic.
The remainder of the information is in this issue, so be sure to look over that.
I, personally, want to thank everyone who has taken their time to help with this event and make it possible. The community involvement has been tremendous, and I’m very much looking forward to participating on Saturday.
About Chris Elkins
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 27, 2016
- Macedonia news July 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news July 27, 2016
- Required vaccinations safe and reliable July 27, 2016
- Local swimmers compete in long course state meet July 27, 2016
- Tax-free weekend coming up July 27, 2016
- Health officer reminds parents about required school vaccinations. July 27, 2016
- Supervisors ask for bridge redesign to lower construction costs July 27, 2016
- Get a year’s worth of news for only $29 July 27, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...