Hoyle Roberts obituary
Hoyle Hayes Roberts, 68, of New Albany, passed away Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2011 at Baptist Memorial Hospital- Union County.
He is survived by his loving wife of forty-two years, Mary Nell Hollis Roberts, their two children and five grandchildren. Hoyle was a gentle, caring and loving husband, father and grandfather who was devoted to his family. To those who knew him, Hoyle was a gentleman, sportsman but above all a trusted friend. He was loved by all of those that knew him.
Hoyle was born Dec. 11, 1943 to the late Woodie E. Roberts and Linda Greer Roberts of Blue Springs, Miss. He was a member of the first graduating class of East Union School in 1962. Following graduation, he was drafted into the Army, where he served two-years as a paratrooper in the 101st airborne. He became a Mississippi State Trooper, serving 28 years; followed by several years as a New Albany Police Officer and a Union Co. Deputy Sheriff. He retired as a security officer at East Union Attendance Center. He was committed to making the highways a safer place, sometimes pointing a finger at passers-by for them to slow down. Hoyle loved spending time with his grandchildren, teaching them about life, farming, hunting and animals. He loved to take his grandchildren “rabbit-hunting” on his four-wheeler or having picnics in the pasture. He, also, enjoyed riding horses, training hunting dogs and raising cattle. He was a board member of the Blue Springs Water Association and former member of the Dixie National Trail Ride Association. He was a member of Ellistown Baptist Church.
Survivors include his children, David Roberts and wife, Kim and Jennifer Pannell and husband, Brad; his grandchildren, Taylor Roberts, Katie Roberts, Drew Pannell, Tatum Pannell and Hayden Pannell; his siblings, Carolyn Roberts of Blue Springs, Jean Herring of Tupelo, Joan Fox of Fort Smith, Ark., Mable Rakestraw of New Albany, Dean Roberts of Memphis, Tenn., Gerald Roberts of Youngtown, Fla,. Lynwood Roberts of Sherman and, many beloved other family members and friends. He is preceded in death by his parents his sister, Mary Elizabeth Clayton and brothers, Richard Roberts and Lynden Roberts.
Services were at 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 17, 2011 at Ellistown Baptist Church with Rev. Mike Powell officiating. Burial was in the Ellistown Cemetery with the MHP Honor Guard services. United Funeral Service was in charge of the arrangements.
Pallbearers were David Roberts, Taylor Roberts, Brad Pannell, Drew Pannell, Dennis Hall, Benny Rakestraw, Dennis Rakestraw and Mike Childers. Honorary pallbearers were Hayden Pannell, MS Highway Patrol, Union County Sheriff’s office, New Albany Police Department and Blue Springs Water Association members.
Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Association and Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo.
Visitation was from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday at United Funeral Service and again from noon to service, on Saturday at Ellistown Baptist Church.
In honor of Mr. Roberts, United Funeral Service will fly the U.S. Army flag and the State Of Mississippi flag during his visitation and service.
About Chris Elkins
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Local swimmers compete in long course state meet July 27, 2016
- Tax-free weekend coming up July 27, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert