Norman C. Whitehorn obituary
Norman C. Whitehorn, 85, of Tyler, Texas, passed away Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2012 at M. D. Anderson in Houston.
Services were held at 2 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 25, 2012, at Stewart Family Funeral Home Chapel with Mike Thomley and Hal Lister officiating. Interment was at Cathedral in the Pines Cemetery in Tyler, Texas under the direction of Stewart Family Funeral Home.
Dr. Whitehorn was born Nov. 19, 1926 in Mrytle, Mississippi where he graduated from high school and entered military service in 1945. After his discharge from the Army, he attended Freed-Hardeman College in Tennessee for two years and then two years at Abilene Christian College where he received his bachelor’s degree in 1950. He received his master’s (1966) and PhD (1978) degrees from Texas A&M University. He was a veteran of WWII and his career included 14 years with Shell Pipeline Corporation in Kilgore and Houston and 27 years with the Texas A&M University System in College Station and Overton. Dr. Whitehorn retired in 1991 and was awarded Associate Proffessor and Extension Specialist in Emeritus status. While working as an Extension Specialist he received numerous awards, including the award for superior service, and citations from local, state and federal governmental agencies. He has published numerous research articles and reports for small cities and towns all over Texas.
He was baptized into Christ when he was 12 years old and has been a faithful member of the Church of Christ for more than 70 years. He has developed many bible school workbooks for both high school and adult classes for use by members in the congregations where he was a member. In addition, he served as an elder in Twin city Church of Christ in College Station for 4 years and in the Rice Road Church of Christ in Tyler for over 26 years. He also preached for over 50 years in Churches of Christ throughout East Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee.
Dr. Whitehorn lived in Tyler, Texas for 30 years.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Howard and Sophie Whitehorn of Myrtle, Mississippi; brother, Walter Whitehorn of Fort Collins, Colorado and Nathan Whitehorn of Ripley, Tenn.; sisters, Gladys Jones of Nashville, Tennessee and Nettie Ward of Fairfield Bay, Ark. and a brother and sister, Alton and Laverne of Myrtle, who died as infants in 1940.
He is survived by his beloved wife of 61 years and eight months, Darlene Emberlin Whitehorn; sons, Stan Whitehorn and wife Kay of Tyler and Gary Whitehorn and wife Janet of Longview; six grandchildren, Zachary Whitehorn and wife Lydia of Euless, Ashley and husband Layne Mathews of Tyler, Hunter Whitehorn of Tyler, Garrett Whitehorn, Alina and husband Shane Millard and Deanna Whitehorn of Longview; two great-grandchildren, Romynn and Makai Mathews; brothers, Wallace Whitehorn of Pound,Virginia and George Whitehorn of Franklin, Tenn.; three sisters, Lois Dodson of Cordova, Tenn., Dorothy Trimm of Olive Branch and Lovie Johnson of Elberta, Ala.
Pallbearers were Zack Whitehorn, Hunter Whitehorn, Garrett Whitehorn (grandsons) and Layne Mathews, Shane Millard, Kenny Bryant and Shane Tate.
Honorary pallbearers were Hal Lister, Jerry Carson, Alfred Pylant, Joe Harding, Tim Harding, J.B. Goolsby, Lawrence Tate and Tim Beirnacki.
Visitation was from 6 to 8 p.m, Friday, at Stewart Family Funeral Home, 7525 Old Jacksonville Highway, in Tyler.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...