Stokes V. Hamblin obituary
Stokes V. Hamblin, 88, of New Albany, died Wednesday, March 7, 2012 at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo.
He was born June 18, 1923 in Guntown to the late Benjamin Franklin Hamblin and Frances Lowella Corder Hamblin. He was a veteran of World War 2 having served as a paratrooper with the U.S. Army’s 513th Infantry. He was the owner/operator of Highland Upholstery, and an employee of Futorian Manufactoring. He also worked as a “door greeter” at Wal-Mart in New Albany. He was a member of the American Legion, and the Hillcrest Baptist Church.
Services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, March 9, 2012 at the Hillcrest Baptist Church with the Rev. Matthew Reed and the Rev. Whit Lewis officiating. Interment will be in the Glenfield Memorial Park. United Funeral Service is in charge of arrangements.
He is survived by two daughters, Linda McClure and Ann Reed (Joe), both of New Albany; three grandchildren, Rose Peak (Gary), Shane Frazier (Melissa) and Matthew Reed (Jennifer); six great-grandchildren, Jonathan, Christopher, and Cierra Peak, Micah and Jobe Reed and Liam Frazier.
He was preceded in death by his wife of 65 years, Myrtis Johnson Hamblin, a sister, Lanie Hamblin Garrison and a brother Billy Hamblin.
Pallbearers will be the members of his Sunday School Class.
Visitation was from 5 to 9 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home. The body will lie in state at the church from 1 to 2 p.m., Friday.
Memorials may be made to the Craig Foley Scholarship Fund, or the Hillcrest Baptist Church Building Fund.
In honor of Mr. Hamblin’s service to his country, United Funeral Service will fly the U.S. Army flag during his visitation and service.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series