Stokes V. Hamblin obituary
Stokes V. Hamblin, 88, of New Albany, died Wednesday, March 7, 2012 at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo.
He was born June 18, 1923 in Guntown to the late Benjamin Franklin Hamblin and Frances Lowella Corder Hamblin. He was a veteran of World War 2 having served as a paratrooper with the U.S. Army’s 513th Infantry. He was the owner/operator of Highland Upholstery, and an employee of Futorian Manufactoring. He also worked as a “door greeter” at Wal-Mart in New Albany. He was a member of the American Legion, and the Hillcrest Baptist Church.
Services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, March 9, 2012 at the Hillcrest Baptist Church with the Rev. Matthew Reed and the Rev. Whit Lewis officiating. Interment will be in the Glenfield Memorial Park. United Funeral Service is in charge of arrangements.
He is survived by two daughters, Linda McClure and Ann Reed (Joe), both of New Albany; three grandchildren, Rose Peak (Gary), Shane Frazier (Melissa) and Matthew Reed (Jennifer); six great-grandchildren, Jonathan, Christopher, and Cierra Peak, Micah and Jobe Reed and Liam Frazier.
He was preceded in death by his wife of 65 years, Myrtis Johnson Hamblin, a sister, Lanie Hamblin Garrison and a brother Billy Hamblin.
Pallbearers will be the members of his Sunday School Class.
Visitation was from 5 to 9 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home. The body will lie in state at the church from 1 to 2 p.m., Friday.
Memorials may be made to the Craig Foley Scholarship Fund, or the Hillcrest Baptist Church Building Fund.
In honor of Mr. Hamblin’s service to his country, United Funeral Service will fly the U.S. Army flag during his visitation and service.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes September 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights September 29, 2016
- The Playhouse September 29, 2016
- New web site allows better public access to campaign finance reports September 29, 2016
- East Union Attendance Center 2016 Homecoming Court September 29, 2016
- City sales revenue continues upswing September 29, 2016
- First solar energy farm here gets PSC approval September 29, 2016
- Ignoring burn ban can cost you money September 29, 2016
- BNA Bank converting former bus station into new mortgage center September 29, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...