Stokes V. Hamblin obituary
Stokes V. Hamblin, 88, of New Albany, died Wednesday, March 7, 2012 at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo.
He was born June 18, 1923 in Guntown to the late Benjamin Franklin Hamblin and Frances Lowella Corder Hamblin. He was a veteran of World War 2 having served as a paratrooper with the U.S. Army’s 513th Infantry. He was the owner/operator of Highland Upholstery, and an employee of Futorian Manufactoring. He also worked as a “door greeter” at Wal-Mart in New Albany. He was a member of the American Legion, and the Hillcrest Baptist Church.
Services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, March 9, 2012 at the Hillcrest Baptist Church with the Rev. Matthew Reed and the Rev. Whit Lewis officiating. Interment will be in the Glenfield Memorial Park. United Funeral Service is in charge of arrangements.
He is survived by two daughters, Linda McClure and Ann Reed (Joe), both of New Albany; three grandchildren, Rose Peak (Gary), Shane Frazier (Melissa) and Matthew Reed (Jennifer); six great-grandchildren, Jonathan, Christopher, and Cierra Peak, Micah and Jobe Reed and Liam Frazier.
He was preceded in death by his wife of 65 years, Myrtis Johnson Hamblin, a sister, Lanie Hamblin Garrison and a brother Billy Hamblin.
Pallbearers will be the members of his Sunday School Class.
Visitation was from 5 to 9 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home. The body will lie in state at the church from 1 to 2 p.m., Friday.
Memorials may be made to the Craig Foley Scholarship Fund, or the Hillcrest Baptist Church Building Fund.
In honor of Mr. Hamblin’s service to his country, United Funeral Service will fly the U.S. Army flag during his visitation and service.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...