Lady Hawks pick up second win
Myrtle evened its record at Oxford on Friday, using a personnel change for the Lady Chargers to its advantage.
Down 2-1 in the fifth, the Lady Hawks scored five runs off four hits after Oxford switched catchers due to injury. After the change, Myrtle capitalized off several wild pitches and passed balls behind the plate.
“We already knew going in that they have a ninth grade catcher, so we were going to try and exploit that and have our base runners steal,” coach Marty Cook said. “When she went down, that opened up more.”
Aspriona Gilbert opened the inning with a leadoff single, scoring later on a double by Brianna Brassell. Emily Cook reached on an error and scored on a passed ball, and Alie Bishop and Kelsey Freeman brought in runs off a double and error, respectively.
Oxford added its final run in the fifth and Myrtle added one more off a single by Bishop, picking up the 7-3 win.
“The girls did a good job tonight of doing things that I asked them to do and that last inning on defense, and Kiana Judon made some great plays,” Cook said. “Keely Chunn made some great plays as well, and Alie Bishop at first made great pick ups. We tell them all year long that our first baseman will make you look like a superstar, and ours did great.”
“They have a good little pitcher, so hitting tonight, we got the timely hits we needed. Scoring the five runs in that inning, I think, deflated them and picked us up a little bit.”
Brassell, Judon and Bishop finished with multiple hits for Myrtle (2-2), which picked up its second win after defeating Hickory Flat, 16-2, on March 2.
Myrtle has the week off for spring break and will next play on Monday, March 19, at Blue Mountain.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series