Lady Hawks pick up second win
Myrtle evened its record at Oxford on Friday, using a personnel change for the Lady Chargers to its advantage.
Down 2-1 in the fifth, the Lady Hawks scored five runs off four hits after Oxford switched catchers due to injury. After the change, Myrtle capitalized off several wild pitches and passed balls behind the plate.
“We already knew going in that they have a ninth grade catcher, so we were going to try and exploit that and have our base runners steal,” coach Marty Cook said. “When she went down, that opened up more.”
Aspriona Gilbert opened the inning with a leadoff single, scoring later on a double by Brianna Brassell. Emily Cook reached on an error and scored on a passed ball, and Alie Bishop and Kelsey Freeman brought in runs off a double and error, respectively.
Oxford added its final run in the fifth and Myrtle added one more off a single by Bishop, picking up the 7-3 win.
“The girls did a good job tonight of doing things that I asked them to do and that last inning on defense, and Kiana Judon made some great plays,” Cook said. “Keely Chunn made some great plays as well, and Alie Bishop at first made great pick ups. We tell them all year long that our first baseman will make you look like a superstar, and ours did great.”
“They have a good little pitcher, so hitting tonight, we got the timely hits we needed. Scoring the five runs in that inning, I think, deflated them and picked us up a little bit.”
Brassell, Judon and Bishop finished with multiple hits for Myrtle (2-2), which picked up its second win after defeating Hickory Flat, 16-2, on March 2.
Myrtle has the week off for spring break and will next play on Monday, March 19, at Blue Mountain.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...