Severe weather season is here again. It’s the time when we start paying more attention to the weather forecast, and worrying about whether there are tornado watches or tornado warnings for our areas.
This year, though, we have another tool available at our disposal to help make certain we get important emergency information. It’s called the Code RED system.
Union County has joined the plan that provides sort of a reverse 911 calling system. Instead of us calling 911 in case of an emergency, the system calls us. The system is available to residents of Union County under an agreement between the Union County Board of Supervisors and the Three Rivers Planning and Development District.
John Byers, who works for Three Rivers, said, “This system will notify people in a specific area of the county if there is an emergency in that area, such as a chemical spill, for example,” Byers said. “The system can also be used as a weather warning system, and will notify people if there is dangerous weather headed their way.”
The system will call land line telephone numbers, cell phone numbers and send text messages and e-mails. There is no limit to the number of phone numbers that can be dialed.
We think it’s a great system, and it’s free to the users. And you can pick the kinds of things you want to be notified about.
The catch is that it can’t notify us if we haven’t signed up. And you have to sign up online or have some one do it for you. The online address is trpdd.com/codered/. Then click on Union County.
Everyone with a phone should sign up immediately. The system could save your life.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...