Severe weather season is here again. It’s the time when we start paying more attention to the weather forecast, and worrying about whether there are tornado watches or tornado warnings for our areas.
This year, though, we have another tool available at our disposal to help make certain we get important emergency information. It’s called the Code RED system.
Union County has joined the plan that provides sort of a reverse 911 calling system. Instead of us calling 911 in case of an emergency, the system calls us. The system is available to residents of Union County under an agreement between the Union County Board of Supervisors and the Three Rivers Planning and Development District.
John Byers, who works for Three Rivers, said, “This system will notify people in a specific area of the county if there is an emergency in that area, such as a chemical spill, for example,” Byers said. “The system can also be used as a weather warning system, and will notify people if there is dangerous weather headed their way.”
The system will call land line telephone numbers, cell phone numbers and send text messages and e-mails. There is no limit to the number of phone numbers that can be dialed.
We think it’s a great system, and it’s free to the users. And you can pick the kinds of things you want to be notified about.
The catch is that it can’t notify us if we haven’t signed up. And you have to sign up online or have some one do it for you. The online address is trpdd.com/codered/. Then click on Union County.
Everyone with a phone should sign up immediately. The system could save your life.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...