Improving Highway 15
The Union County Board of Supervisors has asked the state to use $40 million to improve state Highway 15 between New Albany and Pontotoc, instead of widening state Highway 9 between Blue Springs and Highway 348.
At its meeting Monday, the board urged the legislature, the Mississippi Development Authority and the state Department of Transportation to make the change.
The board said that Highway 348 is structurally inadequate to handle the increase in traffic that would be generated by a widened Highway 9.
Some opposition to the widening has surfaced in the area. Toyota Manufacturing Mississippi, which has its plant at Blue Springs, also has publicly stated that it has not requested the Highway 9 improvements north of Blue Springs.
We agree with those opposed to the widening of Highway 9. It seems to us that U. S. 78 (Interstate 22) and U.S. 45 can adequately handle any traffic between the Toyota plant and any parts suppliers north of Tupelo.
Meanwhile, Highway 15 is extremely busy between New Albany and Pontotoc. Widening it to four lanes would serve the 4,000 manufacturing jobs (including Ashley Furniture) along the road.
It also would provide residents of Pontotoc with easier access to U.S. 78, and to the flourishing shopping areas in New Albany. It’s a win-win situation for both communities.
We think the state should agree to shift the money to a much more useful purpose as requested by the county Board of Supervisors.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...