Improving Highway 15
The Union County Board of Supervisors has asked the state to use $40 million to improve state Highway 15 between New Albany and Pontotoc, instead of widening state Highway 9 between Blue Springs and Highway 348.
At its meeting Monday, the board urged the legislature, the Mississippi Development Authority and the state Department of Transportation to make the change.
The board said that Highway 348 is structurally inadequate to handle the increase in traffic that would be generated by a widened Highway 9.
Some opposition to the widening has surfaced in the area. Toyota Manufacturing Mississippi, which has its plant at Blue Springs, also has publicly stated that it has not requested the Highway 9 improvements north of Blue Springs.
We agree with those opposed to the widening of Highway 9. It seems to us that U. S. 78 (Interstate 22) and U.S. 45 can adequately handle any traffic between the Toyota plant and any parts suppliers north of Tupelo.
Meanwhile, Highway 15 is extremely busy between New Albany and Pontotoc. Widening it to four lanes would serve the 4,000 manufacturing jobs (including Ashley Furniture) along the road.
It also would provide residents of Pontotoc with easier access to U.S. 78, and to the flourishing shopping areas in New Albany. It’s a win-win situation for both communities.
We think the state should agree to shift the money to a much more useful purpose as requested by the county Board of Supervisors.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Macedonia news August 30, 2016
- Hurricane news August 30, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news August 30, 2016
- IRS warns of back-to-school scams; encourages students, parents, schools to stay alert August 30, 2016
- Local schools do well in ACT test results August 30, 2016
- County sets public hearing for coming year’s budget August 30, 2016
- Union County Health and Rehab receives top rating from CMS August 30, 2016
- American Legion to sponsor Patriot Day program Sept. 9 August 30, 2016
- Labor Day holiday to affect community services August 30, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...