Urchins pick up division win against Hamilton
East Union evened its division record on Saturday, earning a win over Hamilton, 2-1.
“Huge win for us. Hamilton’s basically had our number over the last few years,” coach Chris Basil said. “They’ve had the upper hand on us the last couple of years, and they’ve had some great teams; kids that have signed and gone on to major colleges. We needed this, and this is tremendous for our kids. We needed something to get us over the hump.”
After falling 6-3 to the Lions earlier this week, the Urchins came out with the first runs, scoring in the first off an RBI single by Alex Boland and again in the second off an RBI double by Trey Barkley. After those runs, the Urchins were held to only one hit for the remainder of the game. Barkley finished with two doubles to lead the East Union offense.
Hamilton cut the lead in half in the fourth, as the Lions placed runners on the corners and Kyle Dehlem brought in the run on a fielder’s choice. Dillard held Hamilton to three hits, while striking out five in the complete game win.
Now at 13-8 (3-3), the Urchins have two more division series, first against New Site next week.
“We have New Site next week and finish with Baldwyn the next week,” Basil said. “We really need to win all four. We do that, we continue our own destiny.”
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...