The Tupelo Symphony Orchestra, with one of the country’s top tenors as a soloist, put on a first-class performance Sunday in the Cine Theater of the Magnolia Civic Center.
The concert, labeled “A Broadway Salute to the Troops,” included a selection of patriotic music and Broadway favorites.
Steve Amerson, the guest soloist, has been labeled “America’s Tenor” and has sung in dozens, perhaps hundreds, of major concert performances throughout the country, including with the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Los Angeles Master Corale. In other words, he’s famous and he was on stage in New Albany, Mississippi.
It was a great afternoon for music and song and perhaps a few more than 200 people turned out. We suppose we should be happy with that, but we’re not. More than that number show up on a Sunday at several of our local churches.
There really is no reason that the theater should not have been sold out. This was not high-brow classical music. It was a patriotic/pops concert that even included the country music standard, “God Bless the USA.”
The good news is that through the efforts of a new support group, the New Albany/Union County Symphony League, the concert not only was self-supporting, but actually made money. Ticket sales, even if the event were sold out, do not cover the costs of bringing the orchestra and soloist here.
It’s a tribute to the group’s hard work that 80 businesses, organizations and individuals contributed money to make the concert happen. We congratulate the Symphony League committee: Jean Ashcraft, Tom Coltharp, Lanta Craig, Collett Cross, Dewey Davidson, Joanne Lesley and Joyce Sumners.
We look forward to next year’s visit by the symphony.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...